Tuesday, August 30, 2011

History of Reading

Alberto Manguel starts off his book with his early experience with reading. This immediately made me think of the upcoming assignment we have on our personal experience with English, reading, and writing. I started brainstorming about my reading experience as soon as the assignment was presented. Oddly enough, Manguel made a point similar to one of mine. His feeling of de ja vu that he speaks of is something I am familiar with. He says that "experience came to me first through books". I've been dealing with that feeling my entire life because I tend to let myself become absorbed by books and often think of the experiences I read about as experiences of my own.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's interesting that we both were caught by that deja-vu description. My view point is a little different in that I feel deja-vu when reading books more than I do in real life. I agree however that I have experienced things in books that I have yet to experience in life. As we discussed in class, books can inspire you to experience new things. Still, I am more likely to see my own experiences mirrored in a book than I am to see a new experience in a book reflected in my life.

    ReplyDelete