Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Wuthering Heights, part one

I bought a copy of Wuthering Heights a few years ago with the intention of reading it then, but it went in the pile of books I keep buying, which I am slowly getting through. When I finally started it because I had to, I think I realized that my expectations were too high for the novel. For some reason I thought that it was going to be great, but I have been somewhat disappointed thus far. The first few chapters are somewhat confusing because of the characters. Even Lockwood is confused about who is who when he first visits Wuthering Heights, which doesn't make it any easier for the reader. The story does become somewhat more intriguing when Lockwood first stays at Wuthering Heights and the house seems to be haunted. I like the slightly scary tone about the story now. Also finding out about Heathcliff's history and the rest of the history of the house is making the book much more bearable as it goes on.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the large list of characters that are, for the most part, related to one another is very confusing. Because this is my second time reading it, I am enjoying it much more. There's an "Aha!" moment at the end that really explains most of the confusing parts if I remember correctly. You mentioned the scary tone and I agree that there is one. I think the weather plays a lot into that as well, because there is often bad weather, especially when something bad happens to one of the characters. It's definitely a novel that gets better as you go.

    ReplyDelete