Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pygmalion

I realize that the opinion I am about to share is probably going to sound somewhat heartless, but I am willing to take that risk. I think that what I have read of Pygmalion so far is hilarious. At times I feel as if Eliza's character is meant to be sympathized with, but I just can't do it. It's too funny the way she is treated by Higgins, Pickering, and her father. Higgins and Pickering obviously think that because they are more affluent and of a higher class that they are better than Eliza and can therefore treat her like a dirty, common dog they found on the street. They talk about her as if she is not there and cannot understand them. In fact, they even state that she cannot understand them so it does not matter what they say in front of her. Even her own father speaks of her as if she is worth nothing. He sells her to Higgins and Pickering for a mere five pounds, which he openly admits is for him to get wastey face on. He says, "she's only a woman and don't know how to be happy anyhow". I might take more offense to the awful way the men treat her if, and I say this with the utmost sensitivity, I didn't agree. Eliza is a dumb broad. She can't speak correctly and she's overly emotional. We've only read two acts and she's already cried, what, three times? That's just annoying. If she says "ah-ow-oo-ooh!" one more time, I'm going to chuck my Nook off a cliff.

4 comments:

  1. Eliza is a bit hysterical, but she's also uneducated and confused. She only seems to get any attention from anyone by crying, so can you really blame her? No one pays the least attention to what she has to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to agree with you in principle. The audience is not meant to sympathize with, or relate to, the character of Eliza. In many ways she represents the antithesis of a classic romantic female character. It is not until later in the story, after she is successfully transformed into the likeness of a Duchess, that she gains any sliver of respectability. At that point in the story, near the end, she more readily represents the strong, independent woman that at the outset she certainly is not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I also agree that so far this book is hilarious. I'm glad that you've adopted this view and not that of utter disgust, considering your feminine genitalia. Feminist criticism would probably take away from Shaw's intended response to this play. And I share the same sentiments about Eliza repeatedly chopping onions all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading your blog on this, I have to admit, you completely changed my view of the text. It is sort of interesting how your idea of how the reading is put together changed mine. I have to agree with you and Shane that the character of Eliza is so flat that it is sort of funny how they just assume that they'll change her to be a real person in a way.

    ReplyDelete