Tuesday, November 1, 2011

More Pygmalion

At the beginning of act three, I was surprised to see that Eliza had changed. When she appears at Mrs. Higgins' house, she greets the company politely. She seems to have really changed. How could I have thought that was really the case? Of course she's still dumb and loud and rude. It barely takes her five minutes before she becomes her old self again. Higgins and Pickering have been working with her for months at this point and they can hardly get her to hold a polite facade for a short amount of time spent with people from the outside world. It doesn't surprise me that they continue to treat her the same way that they always have. She is still annoying.

In the fourth act, she seems even worse to me. She throws a little hissy fit because of the way that the men act towards her, as if she is nothing to them and they are simply making a bet out of her. She knew that from the beginning! If she didn't want them using her like that, she should have said something in the beginning. Also, she got proper training (however well that worked) along with nice clothes, a place to live, and other care. They may have "used" her, but she got something out of the arrangement as well. She is ungrateful and once again annoying.

1 comment:

  1. I mean, how would you react if people tried to change you? Wouldn't you be a bit upset if someone referred to you as "ungrateful"? While I do agree with most of this, I don't think Eliza really wanted to be changed in the first place! She seemed quite happy being who she was, but she desired a better lifestyle in a way. But I would also have to agree that she's so annoying.

    ReplyDelete