Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Wiki

I had trouble reading this article because I kept thinking of random things I needed to find out about on Wikipedia. Wikipedia is something that I believe most of my generation has gotten a lot of use out of. We use it to find out about things that our friends mention and we want to know about. Most of us have even used it for our school papers, even though pretty much all teachers discourage that. It was refreshing to find an article that puts Wikipedia in a positive light, because so many teachers and other people tell us that it is full of useless information that random people have added, therefore making it an unreliable source. I agree that, while it will have untrue things posted on occasion, for the most part is it a great way to research something. It's also great that it is a non profit organization and therefore refrains from spamming the pages with advertisements that nobody wants to see.

2 comments:

  1. It was refreshing to read this article to say the least, but it's funny how this article made you want to venture off and discover more things from Wikipedia. I was very surprised that the entire website is a nonprofit organization within itself. I figured that with a website that public and potentially profitable would be, well, profitable. it's very commendable. Had you ever heard of Wikia? I had not at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Other than the fact that Wikipedia is frowned upon as a literary references, educators could agree that it is a pretty fantastic source of information. But, I wonder how much more reliable their sources could be if they did advertise. If Wikipedia were for-profit they could hire a much larger staff, like Google, and they could regulate and contribute all of the information.

    ReplyDelete